Bexar County, Texas, is home to the city of Universal City. To the northeast, it touches San Antonio, while to the west, it touches Randolph Air Force Base. The population in the year 2020 was recorded as 19,720. Therefore, it is included in the M.S.A. that includes San Antonio.
The year 1960 marks the start of construction on Universal City. Pat Booker Road is the central shopping district in Universal City.
Coordinates 29°33′10.381′′N 98°18′27.274′′W is the geometric center of Universal City (29.552883698, –98.307576166). You’ll find this about 24 kilometers (15 miles) from San Antonio’s downtown.
The city covers a total area of 5.7 square miles (15 km2), all of which is land, as the United States Census Bureau reported.
The population in the United States was 19,720 at the time of the 2020 census, with 7,233 homes and 5,159 families.
There were 18,530 people, 7,575 households, and 4,973 families residing in the city as of the 2010 census. 3,321.4 people lived in every square mile (1,282.4 per square kilometer). There were an average of 1,120.5 dwellings per square mile (432.6 per square kilometer) among the 8,036 total dwellings. 75.4% were White, 10.1% were Black, 0. 70% were Native American, 2.9% were Asian, 0.3% were Pacific Islander, 6.3% were from other races, and 4.2% were a mixture of races. In 2016, 32.3% of Americans identified as Hispanic or Latino of any race.
About 29.3 percent of the 7,575 households included children under 18, 47 percent were married couples living together, 4.5 percent included a male householder without a female companion, 14.1 percent had a female householder without a male companion, and 34.3 percent were not families. About 27.8% of all households consisted of single individuals, and 7% of those single adults were 65 or older. On average, there were 2.45 people per household and 3.0 people per family. Don’t forget to learn about Schertz, Texas here too.
Of the total population, 27.1% were children under 19, 7.5% were adolescents, 26.7 % were adults ages 25 to 44, 26.7 % were adults ages 45 to 64, and 12.7 % were seniors aged 65 and over. The midpoint age was 36 years. There were 98 males for every 100 females.
In the city, a household’s typical income was $51,900, while a family’s median income was $61,066. The city’s per-person income was $26,019. As a result, 25.3% of children under 18 and 11.3% of those 65 and over lived in low-income households, totaling around 13.7% of families and 17.6% of the population.
Located in northeast Bexar County, across the Union Pacific Railroad tracks from Randolph Air Force Base’s main gate, is the city of Universal City. The municipalities of Converse, Live Oak, Selma, and Schertz, as well as the town of Randolph, contain Schertz’s 5.7 square miles. Henry H. Ogilvie (1885-1945), Witten B. Russ (1874-1964), and Samuel P. Cunningham (1876-1930), three San Antonio doctors, purchased farmland in late 1929 on the premise that the future military airfield across the tracks would attract businesses and homeowners. This was the seed that would grow into the city of Universal City. In 1931, developer Aubrey Milner gave the area he was working on the moniker Universal City in honor of the potential global significance of the nearby airport.
On October 25, 1931, Randolph Field first welcomed passengers, and by 1932, a service station had opened across the train tracks. Randolph Cleaners, formerly known as Post Tailors, was established early on and is still going strong as of 2013. The primary thoroughfare of Universal City, Pat Booker Road (State Highway 218), was named after San Antonian Francis P. “Pat” Booker, an Air Corps captain who served at Randolph and died in a plane crash at Maxwell Field, Alabama, the year after its construction, in 1935. Beaty’s, the original eatery, started serving customers in 1939.
The town’s population expanded slowly until the late 1950s, and after 25 years, only a few hundred people were living there. The 1957 relocation of the Air Training Command headquarters from Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, to Randolph was a significant factor in the city’s explosive growth. On-base housing could no longer accommodate the growing number of officers and enlisted personnel, as it had done continuously since World War II. Johnnie Chuoke, the owner of Acme Lumber Company, saw this opportunity and launched Universal City’s first successful home development, Rose Garden, in the latter half of 1957. In little time, other construction teams had caught on, and the competition was on. For fear of being swallowed up by San Antonio’s rapid growth, voters in March 1960 approved incorporation. On June 4, 1960, Franklin Bless was chosen as the city’s first mayor, and five aldermen were elected to serve with him. Two days later, the first meeting of the city council was conducted. The city council designated Houston, Texas, a general law city on September 6, 1960, by approving the Texas Municipal Code. The city administration had meetings in various locations for months before March 1962, when they moved into the newly constructed city hall. A municipal structure was created by attaching small police and fire units to the existing city hall. In 1962, Universal City Methodist Church was established as the first religious institution in the area, and its first building was erected. The transfer of the Air Force Military Personnel function from the Pentagon to Randolph, which began in June 1963 and continued over the next few years, boosted the town’s rapid expansion. The city’s first bank opened in January 1964, and the Randolph Plaza retail area, which included a Piggly Wiggly grocery, opened in 1965.
When the rural post office in Universal City closed in the early 1970s, the city finally got its own official U.S. post office. In 1970, the town had its newspaper, the Weekly Herald (which moved in 1998), and a brand new H-E-B supermarket popped up on the outskirts of town. In January of 1972, McDonald’s opened up shop in Universal City. Later that year, a Sears catalog store debuted. On April 1, 1972, voters in a citywide election approved a home rule charter, establishing a council-manager municipal administration. Rose Garden Elementary was the city’s first school, opening in 1960; Northview Elementary followed in 1967 but no longer operated. In 1971, Coronado Village Elementary School debuted, followed by Kitty Hawk Junior High (now Middle School) in 1976 and Olympia Elementary in 1980. Salinas Elementary, the newest and, in all likelihood, the last public school in the city, opened its doors to students in 2007. The town gained cable T.V. access in 1979, ahead of anywhere else in Bexar County. The original city hall was converted into the public library in June 1985, and a new municipal building housing the city administration and police department opened in September 1984. In September 1986, the city built a new fire station, and the library subsequently expanded into a vacant fire station. In March of 2000, Olympia Hills, the city’s municipal golf course and conference center, opened its doors to the public. In July 2005, a new public works facility was dedicated; in August 2008, a new animal shelter opened. In the fall of 2008, Northeast Lakeview Community College’s permanent campus opened on land owned jointly by Universal City and Live Oak. In June 2011, the city opened a dog park.
The population of Universal City was projected to be over 1,800 at the time of its incorporation, though this may have been high. At one point, considered the fastest-growing city in Texas, the city’s population rose to 7,613 by 1970. Growth has been slower since then, with a population of 10,720 in 1970, 13,057 in 1990, 14,849 in 2000, and 18,530 in 2010. Universal City has two big and numerous smaller parks and has bought land for several future parks, including a linear one beside Cibolo Creek. Snowfest, held in February, and the Veterans Day parade in November are two of the city’s most anticipated yearly events.
If you are ever in need of help for metal roofing installation or replacement, click here.